Jersey City
Yampaglia Law
Call Now
Let the MSIE Network Help To Grow Your Business

US immigration laws are a minefield of legal concern. Contact a Jersey City immigration attorney to help guide you the process.
Call 201-620-9460 now for a FREE consultation.

Learn More

Jersey City Green Card Holder Sponsor a Family Member Attorney

Jersey City Family of Green Card Holders (Permanent Residents)

As a Jersey CityGreen Card holder (permanent resident), you may petition for certain family members to immigrate to the United States as permanent residents. You may petition for the following family members:
  • Spouse (husband or wife)
  • Unmarried children under 21
  • Unmarried son or daughter of any age
Application Process

To obtain a Green Card for your family member, you must:
  • File Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative
  • Provide proof of your status to demonstrate that you are a permanent resident.
  • Submit evidence of the qualifying relationship such as a birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc. See the form instructions for specific documents required.
  • Submit proof of any legal name change for you or your family member (the beneficiary).
If you or a member of your family is in the U.S. military special conditions may apply to your situation.
Preference Categories
When petitioning for your relative, the following preference categories apply:
  • First preference: Unmarried, adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. (Adult means 21 or older)
  • Second Preference (2A): Spouses of Green Card holders, unmarried children (under 21) of permanent residents
  • Second Preference (2B): Unmarried adult sons and daughters of permanent residents
  • Third Preference: Married sons and daughters (any age) of U.S. citizens
  • Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens
A visa becomes available to a preference category according to the priority date (the date the I-130 was properly filed).
What Happens Next?

If your relative is already in the United States legally, he or she may apply to adjust status to become a permanent resident after a visa number becomes available using Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.
If your relative is outside the United States, your petition will be sent to the National Visa Center (NVC). The NVC will forward your petition to the appropriate U.S. consulate when a visa becomes available and your relative will be notified about how to proceed. This process is referred to as Consular Processing.

Your family member’s preference category will determine how long he or she will have to wait for an immigrant visa number. Once you have filed a petition, you can check its progress on the Check My Case Status page

Note: A visa petition (Form I-130) is only used to demonstrate a qualifying relationship. An approved petition DOES NOT grant any benefit except to create a place in line for visa processing.
Call a Jersey City Green Card Holder Sponsor a Family Member immigration lawyer now at [primaryphone]] for a free consultation.
Free Immigration Law Consultation
Schedule a free consultation with a Jersey City immigration law consultant.